It has been quite the whirlwind of a year. My Kindergartener is finishing his trip around the world. Learning about different cultures has been incredible. At the same time, he learns about the physical geography of a particular region, including ecosystems, fauna, and flora. Though it has been a busy spring, we still found time to travel from Africa to Australia. With just one country as a continent, the overall learning seemed sparse. However, we did include Oceania, which helped to create a fuller unit.
Spine Books ~
- National Geographic Beginner's World Atlas pp. 50-55
- The Usborne Book of Peoples of the World, by Gillian Doherty and Anna Claybourne, pp. 80-91
- The Usborne World of Animals*, by Susanna Davidson and Mike Unwin, pp. 86-95
- Galloping the Globe, by Loree Pettit and Dari Mullins: Australia - flag, p. 221; New Zealand - flag, p. 229
Read Alouds ~
- Australia ABCs: A Book about the People and Places of Australia, by Sarah Heiman
- New Zealand ABCs: A Book about the People and Places of New Zealand, by Holly Schroeder
Art Activity ~
from Art Treasury pp.72-75
Next Stop: Poles and Ocean
*The copy we have is out of print. However, a more recent version can be found here.