In no particular order, and by no means an exhaustive listing, I have learned...
- foundations established in the younger years are essential - without a strong foundation, it is impossible to build
- character is supreme and even more important than academics
- relationships are more important than classes
- have a four year plan, even if it needs to be changed - always start with the end in mind
- interests count - give time to develop talents and gifts, even giving credit if possible
- allow time to try out different things
- a transcript does not define a person, it simply showcases four years of learning
- the depth of learning is more important than the breadth of learning
As I learn more and more, I am completely humbled by those who have gone before us and share their wisdom. A few of the many sites to check out include: The Homeschool Scholar (I have her book too), 7 Sisters Homeschool, and Donna Young.