Chapter Books I Loved

A couple of weeks ago, I shared a few {OK, five} favorite picture books from my childhood.  These are books that I now share with my children.  Today, I thought I'd share some favorite chapter books from my childhood.  This time, I'll just share three books that I read as a child and now my children read.  {Though in full disclosure, I don't think they love these books as much as I did, but I am glad they enjoy them.}

Three Favorite Chapter Books from My Childhood ~

3.  Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, by Robert C. O'Brien, was assigned by my fifth grade reading teacher.   My twin sister and I were part of a group of readers who read longer chapter books instead of the typical readers.  We met during reading time with a teacher to discuss the week's readings.  I remember sitting in this very first 'book club' discussing Mrs. Frisby and her sick son, Timothy.  The rats of NIMH were intriguing to my ten year old mind.  I probably missed a lot of the intricacies, but I do remember enjoying this story.

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

2.  Doesn't everyone find painter turned penguin expert, Mr. Popper, from Mr. Popper's Penguins, by Richard and Florence Atwater, endearing?  The penguins are adorable, and the Popper family is lovable.  The story line kept me laughing as a child, and now makes my little one giggle at the antics and comical events.

1.  If I just said Billy, Old Dan, and Little Ann, would you know the book that is number one?  I stumbled upon this book in the second grade, and it was my all time favorite throughout elementary school, and maybe even middle school.  Where the Red Fern Grows, by Wilson Rawls, takes the number one spot for me.  With Billy saving every penny to buy two good coon dogs, and then their adventures hunting scores of coons in the woods, not to mention the big contest, this book was full of adventure and fun.  I loved every minute of it.  Well, until the end.  Then, I was heartbroken when Little Ann and Old Dan died, but it still takes the number one spot for me.


How about you, what was your favorite chapter book during childhood?

2 comments:

  1. I never read #3, just listened to #2 on a car trip...and my 4th grade teacher read us #1...I cried, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how neat to hear that one read aloud!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...