Getting the Most Out of Co-ops

Silently, I watch them.  The whole room erupts with laughter and conversation.  Children run about the room, sliding into chairs.  Moms throw arms about each other greeting friends.  Smiles abound.  I feel overwhelmed and left out; a stranger in a room full of happy people. 



It is our very first day of co-op and I know only one other family.  There are at least twenty other families and multitudes of children.  I wait as the morning opening commences.  There is a welcome, worship, prayer, and announcements.  Led by teenagers, the worship music softens my apprehension.  Room assignments are reviewed during the announcements.  I listen intently.  I don’t want to be lost on my very first day.   The assembly begins to break up as each teacher and student make their way to first classes.  I inhale deeply, gather my supplies, and join them.

Five years later, I still remember the initial apprehension and anxiety I felt on my very first day of co-op. 

Today, we belong to two co-ops.  The first one meets two Fridays a month and offers classes like physical education, art, creative writing, and music.  This is the co-op setting described above.  It is our fifth year participating in the Friday co-op group.  The second co-op we participate in is a science co-op.  We meet Wednesday afternoons each week.    Parents teach, assist, or gather supply materials for the classes.  This fall, we began our second year of science co-op.

Co-ops vary greatly in size, organization, and purposes.  Therefore, joining a co-op is an individual decision.  Each family must weigh the benefits and responsibilities of belonging to a particular co-op.

Today, I am sharing about considering co-ops and getting the most out of your co-op experience at Growing Your Homeschool.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I am sure in the future I will need this information for my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...