Yesterday, I shared about co-ops in general. I walked the fence between good for your family and not so good for your family. Today, I just want to highlight the benefits of joining a co-op, because truly there are many.
So, just why should you join a co-op? What are the benefits?
- Friends for you and your children
- Encouragement from someone else on the homeschooling journey
- A sense of accountability
- Discovering some creative ideas
- Learning from one another
- Iron sharpens iron
- Your children get to learn from others who teach what maybe you can't, or have a passion for their subject that you just can't muster
- Generally, co-ops have a relatively low cost
- Since you don't want to create a 'mini me' out of your child, a co-op may just be the environment which will help your child become who God created them to be
- Free resources - OK, it isn't really about this, but it is a fringe benefit. Nonetheless, in the co-ops we have participated, I've given and gotten some really nice curricula for free.